Nov 12, 2007

Online campaign works well?


I guess I talked about Korean presidential candidates' blog in cyworld. And the presidential elections is only almost 40 days away from now(I can vote right after when I get Seoul, Korea). I am so excited that I can vote for something, which means that I am an adult living in democratic world? haha and I had never voted for anybody so far although I could have voted since 2004. So this is the good time to recap what the presidential candidates did for the country, organizations they joined, parties they are with/in.

I haven't got to the point that I can compare each American politicians online. Well, especially AU where the school is popular/notorious?/famous/ for its high political interests among students I could overheard that what American politicians are doing, however, differently, I had no chance to hear about their online community or blog. So I just looked them up this time through How the Facebook change the Politics? by Pickled Politics.  Those all were interesting because I could find the similarities of the candidates' blogs that the candidates put their opinions much freely and frequently/anytime they want.  The public has an access to it and can get to know the politicians in terms of personality, political opinions, and the party's directions in campaigns. Because social networking site is EASY to everybody, it has been worked well. And the rate of using online social networking will be increasing. No doubt.


However, still there is one big problem.  
As online Activism: the Media Stereotypes and the Rise of Smart mobs by Robin Good indicated, the online campaign has been work well and strong enough to persuade?/influence people.  Yes it is good.  But, who are using Internet all the time and who are trying to find the interesting stuffs more and more frequently?  It is the young people. 

Since the young people don't usually judge the situation well in terms of politics (no offense here), their mis-judgement did hurt the whole organization.  For example, the current Korean president Roh, Mu Hyun got attention and credits from the college students, who just got their rights to vote.  At that time, the conservative old people didn't in favor of Roh because of his promises, campaign platform, background and so forth.  Well, I don't know exact reasons, but he wasn't leading candidate and nobody expected him to win the election.  The big reason that he got is online community among young people.  Apparently, the current Korean president's reputation has been fell on the ground long time ago, which means that the majority of Korean people doesn't like him. The rate of the favor of him is actually lower than that of the actual vote during the elections.  The further information/expression would be very biased. haha. anyhow, he didn't do well during his term like hurting diplomatic relationships.  So, this is kinda a hope  that the other one could do better than him. Also, if the young people weren't influenced well the other can be elected...

ok anyway, online campaign seems very strong. :)


p.s I am adding the funny video of Korean president Roh I found on youtube.


3 comments:

rachbrandon said...

It's really great that we have such a wealth of resources to look into the poltical cadidates. However, these resources come with responsibilities. Candidates personal blogs, websites, and campaign efforts are obviosuly marketed to bring out the best side of the person. When browsing for people we must consider the source and then learn about the candidate accordingly.

Map Finder said...

I haven't gotten to the point, either, where I can compare politicans online. I feel that there's just so much material on so many sites out there that its become unbelievably difficult to verify the truth of anything I find, if I'm able to find somewhat decent information to begin with. There is so much related information out there, just not nearly enough of it relevant.

Good job on your post! It's very comprehensive and detailed. I liked it. And go vote!

Unknown said...

Yea. online is usually hard to trust 100% because it is not personal. I guess the easiness of online makes those campaign expand..